Eric on 23 Sep 2008 19:29:39 -0700

[PLUG] email being rejected - no real explanation offered

Today I sent a request to Verizon to ask why email from a client's domain is
being returned from verizon.net addresses as "undeliverable".

This was their response:

> Thank you for contacting Verizon Online Security. IP address
 > nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is blocked due to one or more of the below reasons:
>
> 1.) Excessive spam activity from your e-mail domain
>
> 2.) The IP space is listed as dynamic.
>
> 3.) The sending mail server is an open relay.
>
> 4.) The sending mail server is not RFC compliant.
>
> 5.) The sending mail server is sending e-mail containing viruses
 >     or other  disabling or harmful code or files.
>
> 6.) Individuals you are sending to have you blocked on their SPAM Filters
>
> 7.) Mail being sent from a Dynamic Mail server. ( Verizon Online does not
>       accept mail from Dynamic Mail servers)
>
> Domain(s) or IPs in question: (nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn)
>
> Once you have addressed these security-related issues on your
 > network, you should contact Verizon Online Abuse via this form.
 > At that time, we will work with you to restore normal e-mail
 > traffic or to take other action as we deem appropriate.

Is it typical of these (big) providers to just dump a laundry list of potential
issues in response to a specific request?  I was expecting an actual event that
triggered the ban or perhaps the actual offending email(s).

To the best of my knowledge none of these 7 issues apply to us.  (#1 is simply
nonsense - I would consider a single outbound spam message as "excessive".)

I've checked with several web sites
   http://www.us.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml
   http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml
   http://www.dnsbl.info/advanced.asp
   http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/spam-block-list-checker.shtml
there are no hits.

Could sending a single email to about 420 bcc'd recipients (not spam! -
information for an active list of existing clients) trigger something like this?

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#