James Barrett on 24 Sep 2008 09:23:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] email being rejected - no real explanation offered

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Eric <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> Today I sent a request to Verizon to ask why email from a client's domain is
> being returned from verizon.net addresses as "undeliverable".
>
> This was their response:
>

>> Thank you for contacting Verizon Online Security. IP address
>  > nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is blocked due to one or more of the below reasons:
>>
>> 1.) Excessive spam activity from your e-mail domain
>>
>> 2.) The IP space is listed as dynamic.
>>
>> 3.) The sending mail server is an open relay.
>>
>> 4.) The sending mail server is not RFC compliant.
>>
>> 5.) The sending mail server is sending e-mail containing viruses
>  >     or other  disabling or harmful code or files.
>>
>> 6.) Individuals you are sending to have you blocked on their SPAM Filters
>>
>> 7.) Mail being sent from a Dynamic Mail server. ( Verizon Online does not
>>       accept mail from Dynamic Mail servers)
>>
>> Domain(s) or IPs in question: (nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn)
>>
>> Once you have addressed these security-related issues on your
>  > network, you should contact Verizon Online Abuse via this form.
>  > At that time, we will work with you to restore normal e-mail
>  > traffic or to take other action as we deem appropriate.
>
> Is it typical of these (big) providers to just dump a laundry list of potential
> issues in response to a specific request?  I was expecting an actual event that
> triggered the ban or perhaps the actual offending email(s).
>
> To the best of my knowledge none of these 7 issues apply to us.  (#1 is simply
> nonsense - I would consider a single outbound spam message as "excessive".)
>
> I've checked with several web sites
>   http://www.us.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml
>   http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml
>   http://www.dnsbl.info/advanced.asp
>   http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/spam-block-list-checker.shtml
> there are no hits.
>
> Could sending a single email to about 420 bcc'd recipients (not spam! -
> information for an active list of existing clients) trigger something like this?
>
> Eric
> --
> #  Eric Lucas
> #
> #                "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
> #                 And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
> #                                        -- John Gillespie Magee Jr

This thread is getting a bit sidetracked... It would not surprise me
if they just have an autoresponder or someone that sends that out for
every spam server question.  Might as well do what they stated after
point #7, if you have not been frustrated enough...

--
Jim