JP Vossen on 24 Sep 2008 09:47:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Biz. (was email being rejected...)

 > Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 08:20:46 -0400
 > From: "Brian Vagnoni" <bvagnoni@v-system.net>
 >
 > Or and highly recommended Comcast Business Class
 > Highspeed at your home if a residence. The only
 > difference is you need to sign a yearly contract,
 > you get static ip's up to 13 with justification that
 > you pay for and NO REAL RESTRICTIONS on servers or mail.
 > They even do the ptr records for you so reverse
 > lookups work. You get instant access on a business
 > class support line to their tier 2 staff(m-f 9 - 8
 > edt) which have performed everything I've
 > requested. Again these were are requests not
 > problems. It's a do whatever you want
 > ******within reason.*******

One reason I've avoided this solution is that I was told that the
assigned IPAs where in the same ranges as the dynamic Comcast
residential ranges, and thus get blocked by all kinds of blacklists.
Not true?  Or now changed?

[...]
 > I get my TV at residential prices and my internet at
 > the same price I was paying for my residential
 > broadband account with the exception of paying for
 > the static ip's.
[...]
 > Also, you can haggle a little about what they
 > charge you.

Another reason is that last time I checked, it was $100+/mo. for the
biz. service.  That's more than double what I'm paying for residential
DHCP.  Can you elaborate on this?

If I have residential Comcast Internet, with my own old but still works
RCA cable modem, what's involved in switching?  I'd need 2 IPAs, one for
the mail/DNS/web/etc. server and one for whatever else I was doing at
the moment.

And yet another reason I haven't tried this is that Comcast has
historically been totally unable to create or manage a robust DNS
infrastructure.  To a large extent that doesn't matter, you simply use
OpenDNS or someone else.  Any issues here?

Interestingly, we had this discussion a little over a year ago:
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-08/msg00009.html,
with at least one pretty negative comment:
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-08/msg00053.html.
Have things really improved that much?  (Perhaps competition is a
wonderful thing? :-)

Thanks,
JP