Marty Skitch on 2 Oct 2008 05:21:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] should I give up on FreeBSD?

It depends on what you're comfortable with.  I was running a file server with FreeNAS for about year.  The setup was easy, a RAID 1 configuration with two 300 GB SATA drives and all was fine.  One day Samba and SSH stopped working but luckily NFS still worked.  I was about to transfer my files.  I rebuilt the box with Ubuntu (using the text install) to set up the drives for the RAID 1.  I set up it up as follows:
    10 GB for /
    10 GB for /home
    4   GB for swap
    the rest for /mnt/Share

   I configured Samba to for /mnt/Share and OpenSSH.   I've been using Ubuntu since Hory Hedgehog (5.04) so that brings me back to the point I made in the beginning, use what you're comfortable with.

john@essenz.com wrote:
FreeBSD FOREVER! Long live FreeBSD!

that would be a no from me. If your running a DNS server, mail server, or
static content apache server - FreeBSD rocks.

-john