Michael Leone on 2 Oct 2008 07:24:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] eeePC partitioning suggestions

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Jason Stelzer <jason.stelzer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I hadn't thought about it, but it's a good idea.  We've had people break LCDs
>> and lose chargers, but have been lucky so far about losing the laptop itself.
>> We don't have much in terms of trade secrets, but some people have a lot of
>> HIPPA protected stuff.
>>
>> These are not technical users.  Encryption suggestions that won't freak them
>> out?
>>

> There are a bunch of ways to do this, but in this case you want
> something invisible to the user. I've been happily using pgp desktop
> on my mac since it was released.

We use PGP Desktop here. The server runs on Linux, but you can encrypt
any filesystem (we're an all Windows shop), and it works fine and
transparently for us. I have it on my work laptop, and wouldn't even
know it's there, except for the PGP password I have to enter at boot
time.

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

All politicians should have 3 hats - one to throw into the ring, one
to talk through, and one to pull rabbits out of if elected.
                                    Carl Sandburg