Art Alexion on 2 Oct 2008 06:15:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] eeePC partitioning suggestions

On Thursday 02 October 2008 7:18:23 am K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> I don't have an opinion about the swap, but I think you can do without
> /opt.  Doesn't python need /usr/local/lib?

I didn't mean that I wasn't going to have these trees, only that they didn't
need to be on a separate partition.  If it was going to be a machine
permanently assigned to someone, it is sometimes good to have /opt
and /usr/local on separate partitions so that they can be preserved, if
desired, when changing distros or doing unsupported upgrades.  At least I
always believed that.  I just don't think I will be installing anything on
this machine that needs to go into either of those trees.

> You are encrypting /home, I hope?

I hadn't thought about it, but it's a good idea.  We've had people break LCDs
and lose chargers, but have been lucky so far about losing the laptop itself.
We don't have much in terms of trade secrets, but some people have a lot of
HIPPA protected stuff.

These are not technical users.  Encryption suggestions that won't freak them
out?