Art Alexion on 2 Oct 2008 09:48:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] eeePC partitioning suggestions

On Thursday 02 October 2008 11:43:15 am LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> >> You are encrypting /home, I hope?
> >
> > I hadn't thought about it, but it's a good idea.  We've had people break
> > LCDs and lose chargers, but have been lucky so far about losing the
> > laptop itself. We don't have much in terms of trade secrets, but some
> > people have a lot of HIPPA protected stuff.
> >
> > These are not technical users.  Encryption suggestions that won't freak
> > them out?
>
> I would encrypt both the swap and the home partition.  On system boot
> the system will prompt for a password for each.  Since these are non
> tech type people, I would make the passwords the same for both and also
> something easy for your non tech people.
>
> When I encrypted my laptop the /etc/fstab changed to:
> #/dev/hda5       /home          ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/mapper/home /home          ext3    defaults        0       3
> #/dev/hda2       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/mapper/swap none           swap    sw              0       0
>
> One of the tools that you might consider is cryptmount
>
> Here is the Debian description:

>  cryptmount is a utility for creating encrypted filesystems & swap
> partitions
>  and which allows an ordinary user to mount/unmount filing systems
>  without requiring superuser privileges.
>  .
>  It offers the following features (for 2.6-series Linux kernels):
>     * easy and safe on-demand access to filesystems without su/sudo;
>     * access passwords can be changed easily without involving the
> sys-admin;
>     * filesystems can reside on raw disk partitions or ordinary files;
>     * multiple filesystems can be stored in a single disk partition;
>     * includes support for encrypted swap partitions;
>     * temporary filesystems can be setup via command-line,
>       for use in shell-scripts;
>     * encrypted filesystems can be initialized at boot-up or on demand;
>     * transparent configuration of dm-crypt & loopback devices during
> mounting;
>     * encrypted access keys are compatible with OpenSSL and can be
>       stored separately on removable media (e.g. USB flash disks).
> Tag: admin::filesystem, role::program, scope::application,
> security::cryptography, security::privacy, works-with::file

Alright, I am going to give this a try.  Thanks for the encryption suggestions
and the detailed help.

Does anyone have any thoughts about a partition scheme between the 8 & 32 GB
devices?  Both SSD, the 8 GB is supposed to be faster.

We encourage people not to save stuff locally, but on a usb stick, as they are
sharing a user home with all people who borrow these, and they are not
guaranteed that the stuff they save locally will be there if they ever get
the same machine back.