Kelly Campbell on 3 Oct 2008 07:41:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Developer-to-staff ratio?

You're right, there's no easy answer. What works for one company/product may be entirely different from what works at your company. I can recommend a few books that may give you some small data points and guidance (if you haven't already read these):

Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks
Peopleware by DeMarco, Lister
Managing Humans by Rands (his website is great too: randsinrepose.com) [credit to Lindsay Baron for telling me about this one]

-Kelly

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:07 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:57:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Andrew Ganim <andrewganim@yahoo.com>
>
> ...I didn't ask it explicitly but I was trying to say that if you
> could provide us with more information about the reason you need info
> on ratios, we could probably help you find information more easily...

I figured.  And I didn't say explicitly, that I don't want to be too
specific.  :-)  Which hurts me, I realize...

 > ...Sorry if my response came across otherwise, it was
> admittedly more brief than it ought to have been...

No it didn't, but likewise I may have been too brief.  :-)

Looks like there aren't an easy answers, which is OK, I just wanted to
cover my bases.

Thanks to you and everyone for thinking about it,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|        jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/