Andrew Libby on 8 Oct 2008 06:42:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Google groups, OT

Seems to me that usenet groups have been supplanted by
technologies like the wiki and forums, and of course mailing
lists and as you say blogs.  I agree that most users
probably don't know that they are out there.  In addition,
usenet is under assault because of it's use to distribute
copyrighted materials.

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/09/22/1226222.shtml

It is my basic understanding that Comcast is one of many
providers happily backing out of providing usenet services.

My $0.02.

Andy

Julien Mills wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just an observation... over the past many years when
> I've been trying to solve a problem I've been finding
> that the Usenet groups to be less and less helpful.
>
> Maybe I've suppressed bitter memories but I remember
> searching deja and later google and usually finding
> something intelligent about what I was trying to do.
> Lately maybe I'm doing some more complicated stuff.
>
> What I'm thinking is going on maybe: people are blogging
> and using discussion groups on certain web sites
> instead of reading and posting to the groups.  And Usenet
> groups are kind of fading a bit, newer users may not really
> know they're out there.

Tangeis, LLC
Andrew Libby
alibby@tangeis.com