Art Alexion on 8 Oct 2008 09:37:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LVM issues

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 8:51:29 am Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> > I installed Kubuntu 8.04 on another drive and that boots fine, and I can
> > mount the LV.  I tried reinstalling grub to the LV and though it
> > reported that it worked a boot just goes to "GRUB" on the screen, not a
> > prompt, just the word, "GRUB" with nothing happening.
> >
> > The LV had a Kubuntu 8.04 system just the way I wanted it.  With the
> > exception of the new system drive, all hardware is identical.  I don't
> > want to rebuild it manually on the new drive.  what is the best strategy
> > for doing this?
>
> You can't install GRUB on an LV, it needs to be on an actual partition.  If
> you're using GRUB 1, which I believe is what Ubuntu uses, you should have a
> small /boot partition with only GRUB and the kernel files.

There is a 254 MB /boot partition, but when I access the LV, there seems to be
one there as well.  Unless that is just the /boot partition mounted on /.

As I mentioned, the hardware is identical except for the replacement of one
drive.  Can I just boot an LV-aware LiveCD and copy everything
(except /boot, /proc, /tmp, etc.) to the new drive and just adjust the UUID
of the new drive for the old drive in /etc/fstab?  I assume I can't overwrite
a running system by booting the new drive and copying everything over to it.

The other alternative is to boot from grub on the new drive, but load the OS,
etc. from the old drive? (somehow getting the LV to load during this boot.)

It is telling me that it is installing grub to the old drive with the LV, but
when I boot it, I just get a black screen with "GRUB " on it (not a prompt,
just the word) and no input accepted.  I can ctrl+alt+del, but can't type
anything.