Brian Vagnoni on 22 Oct 2008 07:28:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VMWare/Disk Cache Exceeding Physical Memory

Just a side note and I'm not trying to create drama here; but this is one of the reasons why I'm not giddy about community support. However, VMwares paid & community support was no better. It wasn't until I called Kingston at 11pm that I got some real direction. Got a native speaking US tech to(shock & awe); how bout them apples.

Anyway at the end of the day there is no replacement for Trouble Shooting 101.  Who would guess that mobo recommended memory, purchased new and at the same time would cause such havoc and be so different. It just goes to show that you can't take anything for granted in high performance computing.

Anytime you get above 3gb of memory weird things can happen. The bios in the system is set to handle the memory hole automatically. I also have a 1.5gb of adapter ram/rom between the video card and the scsi raid controller plus 4 nic's.

The video card manufacturer recommended a 500 watt or better power supply. I picked up a Gigabyte Odin 800 watt cheap. The nice thing about it is that it has a total wattage display. With 9 scsi u320 10k rpm or faster drives, 4 sata drives, sli video card, and 4 cores I'm only using like 300 watts total power. Which I was surprised about thought I would be  pulling more.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:15 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] VMWare/Disk Cache Exceeding Physical Memory

The VMware mystery & saga ended tonight. I hate memory issues. Out of all computer
problems memory issues have got to be the worst.

Despite the fact that all my memory, good registered memory if you like Kingston had the same part number being KVR400S4R3/1G there were still issues. Surprise, surprise, surprise(in Gomer Pyle voice) you also have to check rev numbers. Those little white sticks at the other end of the DIMM.

My motherboard has 4 banks of 2 DIMM's each totaling 8 slots. Each bank of 2 DIMM's have to be the same. But bank to bank can be different sizes and ranks as well as chips.

Found 3 DIMM's I couldn't match up. Same part number but the rev numbers are as follows:

9965324-001.a00lf
9965324-006.a00
9965324-006-a00

The last 2 DIMM's listed above have different chips:

samsung 625
k4h510438c-zccc
samsung 637
k4h510438c-zccc

They also had different timing/buffer chips.
One by ICS
the other by TI

That's what I get for trying to get off cheap. Next time I'm spending the extra money and get them in matched pairs.

Memtest 2.01 finally had me look at the ram with a Microscope.

I'm just glad I finally found it.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD  BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955