TuskenTower on 29 Oct 2008 08:18:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] searching through kernel features

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM, James Barrett <jadoba@jadoba.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:46 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
>> Maybe browse at http://lxr.linux.no ?
>>
>> -- Bhaskar
>>

> Actually,  I was thinking more like a directory of the configuration
> options, where I could paw through the records and be presented with
> the exact release that first supported this option.  If there is not
> already something like this, there should be...
>
> --
> Jim

Jim,
Here's what I have done in the past when back tracking features.

(WARNING, this is a gross over simplification of what you have to do)
Get the latest kernel and execute "make menuconfig" and search for the
feature(s) that you are looking for.  That should result in a
CONFIG_XYZ.

Google search for "site:lkml.org + CONFIG_OPTION +  Andrew Morton".
Dates on emails should give you an idea of when the changes went into
the MM tree and the subsequent kernel release.  Of course if what you
are looking for is not a config defined feature, then you are going to
have to sift through changelogs or release notes.

Keep in mind that different distros compile their kernels differently,
for example the NX bit (no exec bit for stack execution) is actually
turned off for Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuSE, but turned on for the
enterprise version fo SuSE and RedHat.  This means that you might have
the right kernel, but not the right options set.  You can check those
options in /boot/config-XYZ or zcat /proc/config.gz (not always
present).

HTH
Amul