James Barrett on 29 Oct 2008 11:08:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] searching through kernel features

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:18 AM, TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jim,
> Here's what I have done in the past when back tracking features.
>
> (WARNING, this is a gross over simplification of what you have to do)
> Get the latest kernel and execute "make menuconfig" and search for the
> feature(s) that you are looking for.  That should result in a
> CONFIG_XYZ.
>
> Google search for "site:lkml.org + CONFIG_OPTION +  Andrew Morton".
> Dates on emails should give you an idea of when the changes went into
> the MM tree and the subsequent kernel release.  Of course if what you
> are looking for is not a config defined feature, then you are going to
> have to sift through changelogs or release notes.
>
> Keep in mind that different distros compile their kernels differently,
> for example the NX bit (no exec bit for stack execution) is actually
> turned off for Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuSE, but turned on for the
> enterprise version fo SuSE and RedHat.  This means that you might have
> the right kernel, but not the right options set.  You can check those
> options in /boot/config-XYZ or zcat /proc/config.gz (not always
> present).
>
> HTH
> Amul

Yes, that does help.  Thank you!

It seems like a lot of work, but it seems effective regardless of its
tediousness.  Kernel information like this is hard to come by, but can
be very useful for admins.  If anyone has a better (or worse) idea on
how to find such info, then I'd like to hear it.

(the gears are sweaking)

--
Jim