JP Vossen on 11 Nov 2008 12:26:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VM offerings and USB support

> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:33:49 -0500
> From: "Art Alexion" <art.alexion@gmail.com>
>
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:05 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
[...]
>> Related, IIRC iTunes > 7.something(?) will not even install on W2K, it
>> requires XP or "better," so watch out for that with older VMs/machines.
>
> Not much reason to install win2k anymore anyway.

Except that I still have some copies and machines with it laying around,
and I don't want to pay more $$$$ to "upgrade" to XP.

[...]
>> I'd be interested in seeing a preso on Linux/Ubuntu virtualization
>> solutions for both Linux and Windows (TurboTax/IE only, etc. stuff),
>> including: VMWare, Virtual Box, kvm/qemu, _____, _____, etc...
>
> Somebody asked me about that a couple of years ago when I mentioned
> that I was doing it to run TurboTax.  There isn't much to it beyond

Probably me...

> getting a working VM and installing TT.  The more interesting talk
> would be exporting kmymoney or gnucash data so that it can be imported
> into TT.

That'd be neat too.

> I haven't used VMWare since Ubuntu Dapper (whenver that was.  I have a
> co-worker who likes using it on a Linux host, while complaining how it
> breaks every time there is a kernel update.  I haven't tried it again
> for that  reason.

That's a pain, but once you get it set up correctly (there's lots of
wrong ways to do it out on the 'Net), it's not that bad.  My major
annoyance is that the console fails to start and simply disappears in
those cases.  There should be a wrapper that provides a useful error
message.  This is not rocket science and I just don't get why VMware
hasn't taken such a trivial and basic step.

Anyway, once set up, 'sudo vmware-config.pl -d' does the trick, unless
there's enough of a kernel change to require a patch.  Then it's really
a PITA.  Googling the Ubuntu forums will turn up the answer, but I admit
that's all a lot more work than it should be.

> I have settled into kvm because its snappy and doesn't seem to have
> problems with the kernel updates.  That said, I hadn't fired it up
> since spring taxes and it seems to have changed dramatically since
> then.  I had created Kmenu entries for different configurations, and
> none of them work anymore.  A lot of the stuff I used to do via the
> command parameters seem to now be defaults, and it doesn't recognize
> my old commands.

That's disappointing.  OTOH, kvm and similar seem to be improving at a
phenomenal rate, which is gonna break a few eggs.

[...]
> I didn't realize that iTunes currently doesn't support USB 1.1.  When
> my son ran it a few years ago on a PIII, it complained, transferred
> files slower, but ran nonetheless.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't.  At any rate, about 1.5 years ago I
was totally unable to get iTunes 7.something to work on W2K in a VMWare
Server 1.x VM on top of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.  It would sort-of recognize
that the iPod was there, but it was unable to do anything with it.

Later,
JP