JP Vossen on 15 Nov 2008 11:11:50 -0800

Re: [PLUG] network hardware follies

> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:06:23 -0500
> From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>
>
> I'm trying to reset a Linksys RTP300 that my wife obtained for me from
> Freecycle.  It is a Linux-powered VoIP router.  The history of the device is
> unknown but I would presume that it's a former Vonage unit.  That may be a
> totally bogus assumption, I'll admit, but where it came from is irrelevant IF I
> can get it to work.

Hopefully the URL Casey sent will help, but if not...

<snip>

> What kind of nmap scan would be the quickest and still be most likely detect the
> unit?  I tried a ping scan over the home network and it takes about 40 seconds
> to scan the 192.168.15.1/24 range.  At that rate the entire 192.168.1.1/16 range
> will be about 3 hours.  I'm trying not to think about the 10.0.0.0/8 range.
> Okay, okay... I thought about it: 728 hours or about 1 month.  I'd rather try #2
> or #3 first :-)

Yeah, nmap has a gazillion options.  But port 80 pretty much has to be
there, right?  So:
	nmap  -P0 -p 80 192.168.0.0/16

# -P0 = Do not ping (ICMP) first
# -p  = Ports to scan

But before you do that, keep reading.

> Ideas and suggestions are really welcome!  At this point I'm starting to run out
> of ideas and #3 is starting to look better and better :-(

Why not try to make it tell you?  Install Wireshark on your machine,
then plug the cross-over cable in.  Start Wireshark as root and sniff
promiscuously (I just like saying that :).  Then power up the gadget and
watch Wireshark's capture.  Once the gadget is up, try plugging in a
phone and trying to make a call.  Surely one of those actions will make
the gadget try to send some packets someplace, and give you a clue.

Good luck,
JP