Eric on 18 Nov 2008 14:47:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] network hardware follies

Thanks to all who offered their thoughts on this - I had a measure of success
with it:

Since it has 4 router ports and offers DHCP the box gave up it's IP "secrets"
when I hooked my laptop to one of it's router ports, opened a dos box, and said:
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

It WAS 192.168.15.1 which indicates to me that my route hack on my Linux
workstation was NOT effective.  (memo to self: learn more about network routing
and Linux commands.)

There are three different accounts in the box and I have both the basic-level
("admin") and the mid-level ("user") account information.  However, neither work
for the Voice tab which requires the highest level ("Admin").

I've been unable to either break in (a tool called CYT if I recall correctly) or
re-flash it with a modified version of the BIOS that I downloaded from Linksys.
  This means that the VoIP access is still locked.

For now I'll just use it as a router on my workbench and hope that I can find
some more "hacking" information.  Everything that I found about the RTP300 was
2007 or earlier :-(

Thanks again!

Eric

PS it is a Vonage configured unit.

David Kuntz wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Claude M. Schrader
> <plug@claudeschrader.com> wrote:
>> On 09:06 Sat 15 Nov     , Eric wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to hook it directly to a pc running Kubuntu and run nmap.  Can I use a
>>> "crossover" Ethernet cable for that purpose?  I just happen to have one.  If I
>>> do that is the IP address even relevant as long as it goes out of the Ethernet port?
>>>
>>> What kind of nmap scan would be the quickest and still be most likely detect the
>>> unit?  I tried a ping scan over the home network and it takes about 40 seconds
>>> to scan the 192.168.15.1/24 range.  At that rate the entire 192.168.1.1/16 range
>>> will be about 3 hours.  I'm trying not to think about the 10.0.0.0/8 range.
>>> Okay, okay... I thought about it: 728 hours or about 1 month.  I'd rather try #2
>>> or #3 first :-)
>>>
>> here's another method you could use:
>> -connect a computer directly to the router, using a crossover cable if
>> necessary. (newer machines can auto-detect this)
>> -set your computer's IP to the gateway IP of the subnet you are scanning
>> (192.168.0.1/16)
>> -ping the broadcast IP, in this case you would do, "ping -b 192.168.255.255".
>> -It may or may not respond to the ping, but check your computer's arp table
>> with "arp -a". If it is configured for an IP in that segment, it should be in there.
>> Claude
>>

> Is the MAC listed anywhere on the device?  If it doesn't show up in
> the arp table after pinging the broadcast IP you can try to assign it
> an IP using arp:
> # arp -i eth0 -vs <ip addy> <MAC>
> This has worked in the past for me with printers, UPS units, and the like.
> HTH
> David

#  Eric Lucas
#