David Kuntz on 18 Nov 2008 13:50:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] network hardware follies

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Claude M. Schrader
<plug@claudeschrader.com> wrote:
> On 09:06 Sat 15 Nov     , Eric wrote:
>
>> I'd like to hook it directly to a pc running Kubuntu and run nmap.  Can I use a
>> "crossover" Ethernet cable for that purpose?  I just happen to have one.  If I
>> do that is the IP address even relevant as long as it goes out of the Ethernet port?
>>
>> What kind of nmap scan would be the quickest and still be most likely detect the
>> unit?  I tried a ping scan over the home network and it takes about 40 seconds
>> to scan the 192.168.15.1/24 range.  At that rate the entire 192.168.1.1/16 range
>> will be about 3 hours.  I'm trying not to think about the 10.0.0.0/8 range.
>> Okay, okay... I thought about it: 728 hours or about 1 month.  I'd rather try #2
>> or #3 first :-)
>>

> here's another method you could use:
> -connect a computer directly to the router, using a crossover cable if
> necessary. (newer machines can auto-detect this)
> -set your computer's IP to the gateway IP of the subnet you are scanning
> (192.168.0.1/16)
> -ping the broadcast IP, in this case you would do, "ping -b 192.168.255.255".
> -It may or may not respond to the ping, but check your computer's arp table
> with "arp -a". If it is configured for an IP in that segment, it should be in there.
> Claude

Is the MAC listed anywhere on the device?  If it doesn't show up in
the arp table after pinging the broadcast IP you can try to assign it
an IP using arp:
# arp -i eth0 -vs <ip addy> <MAC>
This has worked in the past for me with printers, UPS units, and the like.
HTH
David