James Barrett on 11 Dec 2008 12:38:15 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Dell Mini 9 loses 2 GB SSD

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 3:04:55 pm James Barrett wrote:
>> It is easy to create a filesystem that does not fill an entire
>> partition.  Somebody could create a 256MB partition and then create a
>> 64MB ext3 filesystem on that partition.  'df' would correctly report
>> 64MB of usable filesystem space on the device while at the same time
>> fdisk would correctly report a 256MB partiton.  I think that it could
>> be possible that something like this occured on your mini9.
>
> But shouldn't fdisk report unused/unpartitioned space?

If there was any unpartitioned space, then yes.  In this scenario, no.
 fdisk is only concerned with the amount of space
partitioned/unpartitioned, and cares nothing about what data is held
within the partition.  If any amount of the partition is not allocated
to a filesystem, the unused space is still part of that partition.
fdisk is reporting the size of the partition, and the partition size
will stay the same no matter what kind or amount of data is/isn't held
within it.

--
Jim