jonathan on 12 Dec 2008 10:08:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: hw repo (was What to do w/ 3-yr-old outboard CD burner?)

This would work, only if there were enough folks contributing. In my
experience, these rental units start around $100 a month (they may be
cheaper in some places, this is personal experience only).
The problem is, I think too many folks would be a one-time thing. Also, how
do you choose a location for the storage site? We're mostly all in the
Philadelphia area, but even so that's pretty wide spread.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Art Alexion
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 1:06 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: hw repo (was What to do w/ 3-yr-old outboard CD
burner?)

On Friday 12 December 2008 11:47:09 am jonathan@jdsnetwork.com wrote:
> As you say, storage is the problem.

We could rent a storage garage, and charge a small fee to all who
participate, donate or pick up, to pay for the space.  The next two problems
would be (1) establishing guidelines for acceptable stuff, and (2) staffing
the thing.

(1) odd stuff is probably good, but broken stuff not.  Shouldn't be serving
as a dump for trash.

(2) the u-store-it place will want names on a lease, and someone needs to
administer it.