Jonathan E. Magen on 17 Dec 2008 18:37:07 -0800

[PLUG] how to backup/restore with XFS?

Friends,
I knew this day would come, the hard disk on my beloved ThinkPad has
reached the end of it's life (it's rated for ~600k load/unload cycles
and it's gone over 1m). Lenovo support has a new one on the way and I
need to consider how to move my system over. Though I've backed up all
of my important files and the like, I was wondering if there is a way
to move my whole system over to avoid having to reinstall Debian, etc.

XFS is my filesystem of choice and I know that it can dump a complete
filesystem image to be restored later. Does anyone have any experience
with this who could tell me if it's possible to dump and restore my
root and home partitions on another hard disk? Can an entire system be
moved like this at all?

The disk will be here in 1-2 days so I've got that long to figure out
if I can reliably get fancy with XFS or whether I need to consider
other options.

--
Jonathan E. Magen
PHN: 267-242-6288