Matthew Rosewarne on 20 Dec 2008 20:03:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] swap on ram disk

On Saturday 20 December 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> I have 32 bit Linux  and 4 GB ram.  Been playing with 64-bit but
> unhappy with the gyrations necessary for flash to work in firefox and
> java to work in OpenOffice.
>
> Could I make use of the extra 800 MB of ram by mounting /swap there?

No.  Since your kernel is still only 32-bit, it can't address any more RAM.
However, x86 processors can make use of more than they are capable of
addressing (called PAE), though there is a performance penalty.  Your distro
may ship a kernel with PAE enabled, otherwise you can build a custom kernel
from the disto's sources.

I don't know why there's a problem with 32-bit Java or Flash on a 64-bit
system.  Most distro's I know about solved that problem ages ago.  Perhaps a
newer version of your distro will solve the problem.