Art Alexion on 21 Dec 2008 06:45:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] swap on ram disk

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <ksbhaskar@gmail.com> wrote:
> What gyrations?  Flash works fine for me on 64-bit *buntu 8.10, as
> does Java on OO.o.

This is probably my fault.  I am talking about 64-bit Kubuntu 8.10.  I
have made it a habit not to install Firefox from the Ubuntu repos,
because doing so always brought gnome with it.  It wasn't the disk
space; I just didn't want to run gnome on top of kde every time I ran
Firefox.

So I installed Firefox from Mozilla instead.

Then I learned that the gnome stuff was part of the ubufox
metapackage, and that aptitude was installing it as a recommendation,
not a dependency.  So I removed Firefox from /opt and reinstalled from
the repo using the --without-recommends flag.  I guess that also
prevented the flash compatibility stuff from installing as well.

With OOo, I upgraded to 3 from the ppa.  It installed 64-bit OOo, but
it can't find java.  I think 3 is a big improvement in terms of format
handling and lots of other stuff.  But lots of features don't work if
java isn't installed.

> Besides don't current 32-bit kernels support lots of RAM?

I have 4 GB.  The 32 bit kernel only sees 3.2.  I was looking for a
way not to waste the remaining 800 or so MB.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface