Art Alexion on 21 Dec 2008 06:55:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] swap on ram disk

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Matthew Rosewarne
<mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 20 December 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
>> I have 32 bit Linux  and 4 GB ram.  Been playing with 64-bit but
>> unhappy with the gyrations necessary for flash to work in firefox and
>> java to work in OpenOffice.
>>
>> Could I make use of the extra 800 MB of ram by mounting /swap there?
>
> No.  Since your kernel is still only 32-bit, it can't address any more RAM.
> However, x86 processors can make use of more than they are capable of
> addressing (called PAE), though there is a performance penalty.  Your distro
> may ship a kernel with PAE enabled, otherwise you can build a custom kernel
> from the disto's sources.

Thanks, I wondered about whether it somehow addressed ramdisks
differently from the way it addressed the remaining system memory.

> I don't know why there's a problem with 32-bit Java or Flash on a 64-bit
> system.  Most distro's I know about solved that problem ages ago.  Perhaps a
> newer version of your distro will solve the problem.

This is a new version.  But... see my reply to Bhaksar as to how I may
have screwed it up.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface