Matthew Rosewarne on 23 Dec 2008 19:37:01 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux config for work, pt 2

On Tuesday 23 December 2008, Adam Zion wrote:
> Thank you to the person who recommended x11vnc; I installed that, and it's
> working swimmingly... provided I start it manually on the linux box each
> time I want to use it. Not so good if the idea is to have it start
> automatically when the user logs in. And when I place the script- or any
> script, for that matter- in the .kde/Autostart directory, all I get is the
> text editor Kate opening the file. And, yes, I was sure to run chmod +x on
> the file when I put it in the directory. This is the same thing which
> happens on my home PC, too: scripts placed in the Autostart directory are
> opened as text files, even if I chmod +x them.

Make sure it has a #!/bin/sh line.  If that doesn't fix it, try appending
".sh". to the filename.

> Second issue: autologin. I set the account to automatically log in, but it
> does not do so. Has anyone else had success configuring Kubuntu 8.1 to do
> this?

This should work properly.  You can change the option manually in
/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc by setting "AutoLoginEnable=true" and AutoLoginUser, then
running "genkdmconf".