Art Alexion on 24 Dec 2008 04:28:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Reasonably secure email

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM, David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> http://www.privacydigest.com/2007/11/19/hushmail+warn+users+law+enforcement+backdoor

I think this one is fascinating, because there is a huge difference
between complying with a subpoena and turning over the encrypted
emails and actually feeding your customer a non-standard, hacked piece
of software that isn't doing the encryption that it pretends to do.

There is even a difference between the standard software having some
"backdoor" vulnerability, and pushing out the hacked  software.

One could argue that it is like the difference between a wire tap and
planting microphones, but not really.  Planting microphones is usually
done by thee government agents themselves, but this is the company
taking an actively deceptive role against its customer, rather than
the more passive role of merely giving the government access.

Is Jon Nelson still on this list?  I'd love to read his take on this.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface