Jason Harlow on 26 Dec 2008 10:41:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] dual monitors with ubuntu

It can take a bit of tweaking of the Xorg.conf file...here's a good
forum post on doing it with the ATI drivers (I've only ever used the
NVidia ones...but it's similar):

Can you get a single screen working with the fglrx driver? That would
be a good start. You'd then just need to add a second "Device" and
"Screen" and have it extend over to that.

i.e.:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Device0"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	Option	    "DesktopSetup" "horizontal"
	Option	    "OverlayOnCRTC2" "1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Device1"
	Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Device0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen1"
	Device     "Device1"
	Monitor    "Monitor1"
	DefaultDepth     24
EndSection

Just be sure and back up any working Xorg.conf files before messing
around and remember ctrl-alt-backspace to restart X and ctrl-alt-F1 to
get to a terminal (To replace w/a working /etc/X11/Xorg.conf)

If you still have trouble, posting your Xorg.conf file (or at least
the relevant sections) would help debug.