Stephen Nichols on 30 Dec 2008 10:22:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] migrating to AD user with Likewise Open

I used to add my Fedora boxes to Active Directory once upon a time.  The
article that got me going is at
<http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=858>.  The security
tools used don't exist in Debian based distributions though.  I didn't know
there were standalone OSS packages that could do this.  I'll have to look
into Likewise Open and any other apps that fill the gap.  I tried to join
Ubuntu to a domain on my own but I was never successful.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Art Alexion
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:03 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] migrating to AD user with Likewise Open

I have started playing with Likewise Open for joining Linux (and Mac)
computers to MS Active Directory domains.  Seems painless and easy, and
works well with a new user.  The problem is how to take a local user and use
those settings, preferably even that $HOME, for his or her AD user.

I figured I could simply copy the .configurations from the local $HOME, and
then maybe create a group with the local-domain user pair and make sure the
group gets owner permissions.  Except I am thinking that that, too, would be
problematic, because once you log on as a domain user, the groups you see
are the domain groups, not the local groups.

Ultimately, I guess, I can copy (move), chown, and forget the local user.

I found this
(http://www.kbrandt.com/2008/11/authenticating-with-active-directory.html)
which shows how to migrate from NIS, but not from a local user.

Any suggestions?