jim fisher on 13 Jan 2009 16:36:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] slightly off topic: Reverse IP domain lookup

On 1/13/09, Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had no luck with nmap and other things.  This site seems to work better
> than most, but it still does not seem to get all the domains.  One of my
> colleagues in Germany sent me the link.  The page is in English:
>
> http://www.bfk.de/bfk_dnslogger_en.html
>
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 03:31:33PM -0500, Michael Lazin said:
>> > Hi, does anyone know of a tool that can be used to find every domain
>> > that
>> is
>> > pointing to an IP?  Website, command line tool, whatever is just fine.
>>
>> There is no such tool, almost by defintion.  Given a huge number of
>> domains, and a huge number of RRs within a domain, you have to search
>> almost all of them to see if they have a record pointing to a given IP.
>> --

>> |  Stephen Gran                  | A friend of mine won't get a divorce,
>> |
>> |  steve@lobefin.net             | because he hates lawyers more than he
>> |
>> |  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve <http://www.lobefin.net/%7Esteve> | hates
>> his wife.                         |

> --
> Michael Lazin
> To gar auto estin noein te kai enai

A little script - I think this may be what you are looking for:

jimf@dell6000:~$ cat rev_dns.sh
#!/bin/bash

echo "ip range to reverse :"
echo "ie. 192.168.1"

read ip_range

for ip in `seq 1 254`;do  ##assumes class c - change as needed
host $ip_range.$ip | grep "name pointer" | cut -d " " -f5
done

--
jim fisher
Jedijf