Tom Diehl on 14 Jan 2009 04:31:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Changing the video card in an Ubuntu workstation

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Eric wrote:

> I'm changing out the video card in my Ubuntu workstation and I'm curious
> as to the easiest way to make the switch and get it back up and running.
>
> If it were windows the scenario would be:
>    Open the device manager and switch to a generic SVGA driver
>    shutdown
>    replace card
>    boot the system
>    Install the new driver
>    WORKS
>
> If it were SuSE the scenario would be:
>   shutdown
>   replace card
>    boot the system
>    X fails leaving me in runlevel 3 (or whatever)
>    run sax2, select driver and settings
>    switch to runlevel 5 (or whatever)
>    WORKS
>
> What is the scenario for Ubuntu 8.10? (Since there is no "device
> manager", no "generic SVGA driver", no runlevel 3, and no Sax2)

Maybe it will "just work". I know nothing about Ubuntu 8.10 but I just did
this yesterday on my Fedora 10 machine and it "just worked". It even detected
my new 24" dell monitor and set the correct resolution. The only thing I had to
do was install the new card and disable the internal video card in the Bios.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com