Art Alexion on 14 Jan 2009 05:15:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Changing the video card in an Ubuntu workstation

On 01/14/2009 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
>> > What is the scenario for Ubuntu 8.10? (Since there is no "device
>> > manager", no "generic SVGA driver", no runlevel 3, and no Sax2)
>
> There are two generic drivers: "vesa" and "vga".  VGA is limited to 640x480,
> while VESA goes up to 1024x768.  These should work with any card, and X.org
> will hopefully fall back to VESA if it can't find a real driver.

There is a runlevel 3, it just boots to gdm/kdm, rl5.  In a console, say
tty3, run 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg'.  That command has
never failed to give me a working X, and with stuff like Intel video may
be all you have to do.

Of course, you need to restart X if it is running.

Kubuntu 8.10 and ATI or nVidia is another story.  You are often dumped
into a huge virtual desktop that doesn't pan on mouse movement.
Fortunately, you are in the lower right quadrant of the desktop where
you can find the tray icon that is prompting you to install the
proprietary driver. Once you do this, All will be well.