jeff on 14 Jan 2009 06:45:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] New Linux-base Palm phone

Alex Valentine wrote:
> I think the Pre will be the first cell phone could equal or exceed the
> features of an iphone.

Oh, did you mean that in a GOOD way?  :)

Missing external storage, no compatibility w/existing software, and a
keyboard that comes out on the wrong axis are pretty strong negatives
for me.  Bigger screen is a positive.  Oh yeah, the fact that Sprint has
the exclusive for an unknown amount of time is also fairly pertinent
(Verizon here).

Oh well, at least I have my 700p.  If nothing else, it will allow the
bugs to get aired before I can make a decision.

They could potentially have a winner.

I went into greater depth on my blog.

> The big question mark for me is good synchronization. It needs to be open
> enough to make it easy for developers to write good linux synchronization
> tools. Linux has a history of non-existent or problematic device
> synchronization.

HEAR HEAR!!
I'd like nothing short of a Palm Desktop equivalent for linux THAT WORKS
WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN.  None of the messing about with /dev/ttys0, cua or
:usb .

Heaven forbid, some sort of xfer app that will send an mp3 to the
storage card (the non-existent storage card, as it were).

--
ThermionicEmissions  -  the blog
http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat