holdenergy1 on 17 Jan 2009 20:11:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Recording Phone/Cellular Conversations Linux

If Google's GrandCentral ever comes out of beta it has a call record function. Of course like the beginning of the gmail service it's an invitation-only beta which is a bit annoying as I have been waiting for this to come out to the general public (i.e. me) for a while.

Without being a user myself I don't know the exact mechanics of how you'd record from your cell using GrandCentral but I am sure it has the flexibility to do it (and for those who seem concerned about upsetting some faceless corporation somewhere and getting sued to oblivion, apparently when you push the record button the system announces to both parties that recording is about to begin which is basically what the corporation does to you "for your protection blah blah blah this call may be recorded blah blah blah" - the customer's choice is only ever to hang up if they don't want to be recorded).

And I don't know for sure but I would wager that GrandCentral is built on Asterisk (bringing this back to Linux). I remember seeing call record options in Asterisk@Home many moons ago though I am using Asterisknow now and I don't recall seeing that option in that GUI.

-Andrew