Casey Bralla on 23 Jan 2009 14:39:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast and port 25

If you have a business account, comcast does not block, even if you have
dynamic IPs.   Verizon, on the other hand, blocks both port 25 and port 80,
even on business accounts unless you purchase a block of IPs

On Friday 23 January 2009 1:36:15 pm Glenn Kelley wrote:
> our hosting organization runs on a few ports simply due to how the
> ISP's have started blocking.
>
> We used to run 25/26 but of course some have gotten wise to that - so
> now its 25/26/ and a few others
> This begs me to wonder what comcast will do when they release that
> fast speed stuff for business accounts later this quarter.
>
> 50/down 20up with 5 static ip's i think is supposed to be the offer.
> $200 or so a month
>
> will they block ports on there?
> be really cruddy if they do.
>
> Current business accounts however do allow port 25
>
> Glenn
>
> On Jan 23, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Matt Mossholder wrote:
> > ----- "jeff" <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> >> Yeah, as I got more info, I realized what was going on.
> >> Comcast asked me to use the alt port for their smtp server.
> >> Work won't be interested in changing their port though.
> >
> > No need to "change"... run on both!
> >
> >    --Matt

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence