Julien Mills on 29 Jan 2009 16:43:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sendmail and Blackberrys

All,

> > Won't work for accessing a private internal email
> server, tho. Only
> > for accessing public mail servers like Yahoo, Gmail,
> etc. If his
> > domain is hosted by Google Apps, that might work. If
> they use an
> > internal server (say Courier), BIS won't access
> it, IIRC.
> >
> > I believe that's the difference between BES and
> BIS.
>
> BIS worked fine for me pulling IMAP from mail.mydomain.com
> when I ran
> it from a Linux box with sendmail at home - you just have
> to make sure
> you get your ports right. If you mean a private internal
> email server,
> as in one behind a firewall that can only be accessed
> inside the
> firewall, then yes, you are correct.

Yes, this is really the problem, I haven't opened up either
POP or IMAP on our mail server.  So really I guess that is
what I'll have to do it I want this to work.  I'll think about
it, how to do it and keep our mail server secure.

Just wondering ...
If one has Exchange and is running BES, do you open up your
firewall to let IMAP or POP in from the internet?

And thanks everyone for all the help.

Julien