Art Alexion on 30 Jan 2009 04:30:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sendmail and Blackberrys

On 01/29/2009 Julien Mills wrote:
> Just wondering ...
> If one has Exchange and is running BES, do you open up your
> firewall to let IMAP or POP in from the internet?
>
> And thanks everyone for all the help.

Well, I am not sure it is  related, but we allow POP and IMAP access so
that our employees who have a clue as to how to configure Thunderbird or
Outlook Express can access their mail away from the office, without
going through the webmail (OWA) portal.  Even that is unnecessary if
someone uses Evolution-exchange (Linux or Windows).  But I don't think
it is related to BES.

BES polls Exchange periodically, and then *it* pushes the data (mail and
PIM changes) to the handheld units.  POP and IMAP aren't involved at all.