Art Alexion on 30 Jan 2009 15:10:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sendmail and Blackberrys

We have been opening POP and IMAP since before I started. Our move to
BB was recent. Before that, we used Treos and they were always set up
for POP access.

We coach most of our users to use OWA with non-PDAphone access, but
that has more to do with not wanting to get involved in configuring
home computers than security.

On 1/30/09, Julien Mills <julienfmills@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Art,
>
>> > Just wondering ...
>> > If one has Exchange and is running BES, do you open up
>> your
>> > firewall to let IMAP or POP in from the internet?
>> >
>> > And thanks everyone for all the help.
>>

>> Well, I am not sure it is  related, but we allow POP and
>> IMAP access so
>> that our employees who have a clue as to how to configure
>> Thunderbird or
>> Outlook Express can access their mail away from the office,
>> without
>> going through the webmail (OWA) portal.  Even that is
>> unnecessary if
>> someone uses Evolution-exchange (Linux or Windows).  But I
>> don't think
>> it is related to BES.
>>
>> BES polls Exchange periodically, and then *it* pushes the
>> data (mail and
>> PIM changes) to the handheld units.  POP and IMAP
>> aren't involved at all.
>
> Thanks for this explanation, I didn't know it worked that way, but
> that makes sense, and it should be pretty secure.
>
> And, you guys open up POP and IMAP on your firewall?  I've set up
> openVPN on the laptops to allow the guys to get their email away
> from the office.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface