Art Alexion on 29 Jan 2009 12:06:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sendmail and Blackberrys

On Thursday 29 January 2009 2:30:00 pm Michael Leone wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Tim Allen <flipper@peregrinesalon.com>
wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Julien Mills <julienfmills@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> >> Since we aren't running Exchange Server and have only, at
> >> this point, 5 Blackberrys, I don't think it makes sense to
> >> get BES.  Not that I have anything against it.  I'll see
> >> that else I can come up with.
> >
> > Definitely check out Blackberry Internet Service. Your provider (AT&T?
> > Sprint? Verizon?) should provide it. Basically, you'll go to their web
> > site, and you can set up your Blackberry in several ways:
> >
> > (1) you can set it to pull from up to 10 different email accounts via
> > POP or IMAP. It polls about once a minute, and then pushes to the
> > Blackberry.
>
> Won't work for accessing a private internal email server, tho. Only
> for accessing public mail servers like Yahoo, Gmail, etc. If his
> domain is hosted by Google Apps, that might work. If they use an
> internal server (say Courier), BIS won't access it, IIRC.
>
> I believe that's the difference between BES and BIS.

No, before we got the BPS licensed, we used BIS to access our exchange mail.
The difference with BES/BPS and BIS is IT vs. local control, and pushing just
about anything to the BBs.

Before we went BB, we used Treos, and I spent a ton of time at individual PCs
and handhelds troubleshooting sync problems.

With BPS, I can define various configurations and policies from the server,
and activate and configure a unit in less than two minutes without leaving my
desk.  I can reconfigure a handheld that has been fubared by a user in less
than a minute.  Times when I actually need the unit in hand are rare.  Of
course, I can also destroy a lost or stolen unit, Mission Impossible style,
from the server as well.

I don't like my work BB nearly as much as I like my personal Centro, but from
an IT administration standpoint, Palm, Apple, Android and Symbian, don't even
try to compete.