Michael Leone on 29 Jan 2009 11:30:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sendmail and Blackberrys

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Tim Allen <flipper@peregrinesalon.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Julien Mills <julienfmills@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Since we aren't running Exchange Server and have only, at
>> this point, 5 Blackberrys, I don't think it makes sense to
>> get BES.  Not that I have anything against it.  I'll see
>> that else I can come up with.
>
> Definitely check out Blackberry Internet Service. Your provider (AT&T?
> Sprint? Verizon?) should provide it. Basically, you'll go to their web
> site, and you can set up your Blackberry in several ways:
>
> (1) you can set it to pull from up to 10 different email accounts via
> POP or IMAP. It polls about once a minute, and then pushes to the
> Blackberry.

Won't work for accessing a private internal email server, tho. Only
for accessing public mail servers like Yahoo, Gmail, etc. If his
domain is hosted by Google Apps, that might work. If they use an
internal server (say Courier), BIS won't access it, IIRC.

I believe that's the difference between BES and BIS.