Jason Stelzer on 5 Feb 2009 13:15:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Central Syslog

Rather than try to change the world, you could (in theory) create a
syslog replacement that accepts the old style syslog messages, 'tags'
them with host specific data and forwards it along. Just throwing the
idea out there. It doesn't bother me enough to really dwell on it.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Matt Mossholder <matt@mossholder.com> wrote:
> ----- "Michael Leone" <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
>> Is this where I get to be a smart mouth and say:
>>
>> Well, it's Linux. Write one. (Isn't everyone supposed to be skilled
>> enough to do that? I know I am not, but I figured that was just a
>> personal failing ...)
>>
>> Oh, and let the rest of us know when it's available ...
>>
>> :-)
>

> The problem isn't writing a new one.. it is patching every syslog enabled program to use the new system.
> Even more problematic to migrate all the apps off of using the braindead, non-customizable facility/priority based message identifier system.

J.