sean finney on 5 Feb 2009 13:45:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Central Syslog

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 04:13:39PM -0500, Jason Stelzer wrote:
> Rather than try to change the world, you could (in theory) create a
> syslog replacement that accepts the old style syslog messages, 'tags'
> them with host specific data and forwards it along. Just throwing the
> idea out there. It doesn't bother me enough to really dwell on it.

i've always been happy with syslog-ng for sorting/filtering/storing
syslog messages from hosts/devices.  it's incredibly flexible in what
you can do with the messages.

the hard part for me was typically after that, when i wanted a way to
get a good summary/report of the logs i.e. visualizing the mass of
information.

	sean