JP Vossen on 5 Feb 2009 14:42:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] RHEL Subscription Question

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Wells, David J <dwells@elemica.com> wrote:
> All,
> I've got another question that I can't find a solid answer to. I read
> through most of the EULA's I could find on RedHat's site and not a single
> one said that it violates the EULA the run RHEL without purchasing a
> subscription and updating the binaries from an external source? RPMFIND,
> etc? does anyone have any insight?

They make it *incredibly* hard to find the answer to that question, and
I've never understood why.  (Of course, I've never understood why RH
does a lot of things they way they do, that's why I switched to Debian
and never looked back.  Having said that, CentOS rocks if you need RHEL
for something (we use a lot of RHEL at work).)

Anyway:

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_80_4293.shtm
--> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-1666

Can I legally use my installation CDs on more than one system, so long
as I only seek support on the system using my subscription?
Article ID: 1666 - Created on: Nov 14, 2004 6:00 PM - Last Modified:
May 10, 2006 6:00 PM

You can install the software on as many systems as you would like and
you can share the software with others. However, as a condition to
obtaining the software you agreed to pay for a subscription to Red Hat
Network (RHN) for each system on which you installed the software. If
you use an RHN subscription to obtain content used to support more than
one machine or you distribute content obtained over RHN to other
parties, you have breached your subscription agreement, and Red Hat has
the right to deny you further service under RHN (i.e., you will no
longer be able to obtain bug fixes, security patches, updates, or
enhancements).

If you need additional subscriptions, click on the STORE link at the top
of redhat.com or contact your Red Hat sales representative.

--- end

Of course that means that a lot of the previously posted answers
are--invalid--shall we say.

Later,
JP