Michael Lazin on 6 Feb 2009 09:56:07 -0800

[PLUG] dedicating a sound card to a vm

Hi.  I have an ubuntu Intrepid Ibex box with two sound cards.  I am running an XP virtual machine on it with VMPlayer.  I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 with OSS4 configured on the host.  I can't seem to get the sound working right in the VM using this card and OSS4.  I also have an onboard Intel HD audio card.  I had it disabled, but I reenabled it and hooked it up to a channel on a mixing board so I have both the M-Audio card and the onboard sound running though a stereo via a mixing board.  Is there a way to dedicate the onboard intel card to the virtual machine, so I can have sound on both the host and the VM via the mixing board?  Anyone have any pointers on configuring a machine to work with 2 sound cards and a VM?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Michael Lazin
To gar auto estin noein te kai enai