Mark M. Hoffman on 11 Feb 2009 05:51:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT (but not really): Tough Interview questions

Hi all:

* Toby DiPasquale <toby@cbcg.net> [2009-02-11 07:26:12 -0500]:
> Executable and Linking Format. Designed for the "next-gen" UNIX
> executables which allow shared libraries and dynamically loading code
> (a.out format did not allow for that). Other formats of this nature
> are PE (Windows), DWARF (embedded stuff, iPhone) or Mach-O "fat" (Mac
> OS X) binary formats.

OBTW/pedantic: DWARF is not quite in the same class as the others.  It's
specifically for debugging info, which rides along in the ELF file itself.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman@lightlink.com