jeff on 11 Feb 2009 08:22:47 -0800

[PLUG] Tough Interview questions - the questions themselves?

Toby DiPasquale wrote:
>> For instance, I had a client as me over the telephone:
>> What is ELF and how does it differ from other formats?  -- Unix related position
>
> Having said all that, this is a spectacularly dumb question to ask.

Be that as it may, it begs the question of what *is* asked.
I don't think that there's a Standard Test.

I got thrown to the wolves, as far as interviewing.  I sat in on a few,
made notes, then got stuck *doing* the interviewing when my boss left.
I ask what I consider to be obvious stuff, more difficult stuff and the
odd bit of specialized knowledge; but mostly questions that attempt to
show thought process.  I wind up hiring for aptitude moreso than
specific skills and haven't been disappointed.  As usual, I'm different
then most.

"I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable (sometimes appreciated) response.

Ymmv, obviously.

--
ThermionicEmissions  -  the blog
http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat