Art Alexion on 11 Feb 2009 10:54:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Tough Interview questions - the questions themselves?

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 11:35:32 am Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> > I got thrown to the wolves, as far as interviewing.  I sat in on a few,
> > made notes, then got stuck doing the interviewing when my boss left.
> > I ask what I consider to be obvious stuff, more difficult stuff and the
> > odd bit of specialized knowledge; but mostly questions that attempt to
> > show thought process.  I wind up hiring for aptitude moreso than
> > specific skills and haven't been disappointed.  As usual, I'm different
> > then most.
>
> Hiring for aptitude is definitely the right way to hire, IMHO. There
> is no standard, you're right, and I haven't really liked any
> particular method I've seen or heard about. In a lot of ways,
> interviewing is the most challenging part of the managerial task set
> since this very quick (in the grand scheme of things) decision has
> such a big impact on your costs and success.

When I first read this, I thought "aptitude" was a typo for "attitude", the
latter being hugely important unless the candidate has such "world famous"
skill sets that you can tolerate working with him or her.

I'll take smart, adaptable, and enjoyable  to work with, over experienced and
knowledgeable just about every day.  I've never really done tech hiring, but
for legal professionals and office support staff, this philosophy has served me
well.