JP Vossen on 12 Feb 2009 12:49:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Verizon bureaucracy gone wild

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:39:23 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Bill Hance" <bill@billhance.com>
>
>   My recently installed FiOS is considered Business FiOS due to the static
> IP addresses.  I've noticed that my phone and TV appear to be billed at
> a slightly higher business rate, rather than the residential rate.  I
> gave them a call, and... you would not believe their answer to this
> billing problem.  Their solution is to run a 2nd FiOS line from the
> street to my house, install a 2nd FiOS ONT box on the wall in my
> basement, and then get the TV and phone from this new line, which would
> have residential billing.
>
>   They are unable to provide residential billing on the same fiber that
> has static IP!

My understanding of this extreme stupidity is that residential and
business are two totally different Verizon business units, and nothing
is/can be shared.  Typical large company inefficiency and vast stupidity.

The Verizon thing that bugs the heck out of me is that I have
residential FiOS, but not phone or TV.  So several times per *week* I
get various junk mail from them either asking me to come back to FiOS (I
never left) or to sign up for their triple-play thing, which I will
never do.  (Aside from the fact that I don't trust them, I strongly
believe that putting too many eggs in one basket is a really bad idea
from a vendor lock-in perspective, among others.  Another one is that
I'd never get hosting from my domain name registrar, or vice versa.)

I've called a few times to try and get them to stop wasting money and
paper on me, but they claim I have to have phone service before the
screen where they can turn that crap off will come up.  WTH?!?

If anyone has an idea how to make this stop, I'd appreciate it.  I've
considered a USPS1500 "Prohibitory Order" form [1], but I'm afraid
exceedingly stupid companies (e.g. Verizon or Comcast) would screw it up
and sever all correspondence and relationship, and I like my FiOS...

Later,
JP

[1] http://www.junkbusters.com/dmlaws.html