Claude M. Schrader on 13 Feb 2009 13:40:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Verizon bureaucracy gone wild

On 15:49 Thu 12 Feb     , JP Vossen wrote:
> My understanding of this extreme stupidity is that residential and
> business are two totally different Verizon business units, and nothing
> is/can be shared.  Typical large company inefficiency and vast stupidity.

Verizon's corporate structure is rather complicated - I am familiar with
the DSL side, but I assume FIOS is similar.
-The local loop is owned by Verizon (the telco)
-The DSL equipment is owned by VADI (Verizon Advanced Data, Inc), who
leases access to the local loop from Verizon.
-VADI then provides the DSL circuit to Verizon online (the retail ISP), who adds
internet access, email, support, etc.

Thats at least 3 seperate companies billing each other all within Verizon, just to
give you a $17 dsl connection.

--
Claude M. Schrader, CCNA
http://www.linkedin.com/in/claudeschrader