JP Vossen on 12 Feb 2009 14:51:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT (but not really): Tough Interview questions

 > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:03:22 -0500
 > From: Darren Nickerson <darren.nickerson@ifax.com>
 >
 > *chuckle* decaf?

Well, that's one of the sad parts...I don't drink coffee and have only 1
soda per day at lunch.  (I know, not enough Dew/Jolt so you have to take
away my geek card...)

 > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:01:45 -0500
 > From: Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com>
 >
 > I've generally heard them referred to as "Desert Island Discs"[1],
 > which is perhaps a bit harder to misparse.  :)
 > 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs

 > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:05:02 -0500
 > From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
 >
 > And I thought *I* didn't get out a lot, JP   :)
 >
 > Desert Island Disc:
 > If you were stuck on an island and could get past the logical leap
 > that you could play only one album, what would it be?

Yeah, see, I'd have *gotten* it if you'd said *that*...

 > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:50:01 -0500
 > From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>
 >
 > Hey JP, obviously you're not old enough...

No, I am old enough to have bought vinyl albums.  I'm just having an
especially dense day it seems.

 > Maybe that's why I like the command line: it's so... old.

I love the command line, I spend a lot of my day at it.  When I first
understood what autoexec.bat did, in the early 80's, I couldn't get over
how cool it was (which partly explains how I ended up co-writing the
_bash Cookbook_ :).

Speaking of being old and loving the CLI, Neal Stephenson's short
novella (if that's not redundant) "In the Beginning was the Command
Line" will have you rolling on the floor:
http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html	(zip)
http://adam.shand.net/iki/library/in_the_beginning_was_the_command_line/

Later,
JP