zuzu on 15 Feb 2009 14:02:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: VoIP through Sprint

Sprint's Airwave and Verizon's Wireless Network Extendder are the same
femtocell made by Samsung (for CDMA networks).

I use UMA/GAN on T-Mobile (GSM), however, which uses the phone's (e.g.
BlackBerry) builtin 802.11 "Wi-Fi" to make unlimited VoIP calls from
anywhere in the world for only $10 extra per month (and no femtocell
to buy.)

Femtocells instead act as mini CDMA tower.  At that point I'm
disappointed you have to both buy the femtocell and pay exta an fee
for the privilege of extending the telecom's network with your own
broadband internet access (that you also pay for).  (Seems like either
there should just be a femtocell market or telecoms subsidizing them
with the monthly fee of unlimited calling.)

Although, come to think of it, I've heard that if you complain they
will give you the Airwave for free.

The other thing I've heard is that it works well, but you only get
EVDO 1x data speeds with it.

No first-hand experience though, sorry.