Kam on 16 Feb 2009 07:37:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Backup fun

-----Original Message-----

From:  Adam Zion <azion1995@gmail.com>
Subj:  [PLUG] Backup fun
Date:  Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:55 pm
Size:  884 bytes
To:  PLUG <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

OK, I purchased a Western Digital Element 1TB external backup drive
for my linux server. I have a 300 GB drive to back up, so there's
plenty of room to spare.

But no. When I use rsync to back up the data, it bombs out w/a drive
full error before even completing the first back up- which would be
far less than 1 TB of data.

Since I highly doubt that cluster overhang is an issue, can anyone
else think why this drive would be running into such an error? When I
check it on Windows it reports as a 1 TB drive, so it's unlikely to be
a physical error w/the drive.

I am assuming you did...

(as root from the pc usb connected to the drive)
fdisk /dev/sdc   (or sdb? Check output from 'dmesg' when you connect the drive.)
then review the disk's partition layout and adjust as necessary.
Then a...
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc1
and you have something to mount and rsync to.
--
Kam
http://kamsalisbury.com